This is my first post so I suppose I should introduce myself. I am 23 years old and live in Boston. My goal with the blog is to share my experiences over the past year and hopefully learn from others who have gone through similar experiences.
2012 began with a bang and proved to be full of surprises throughout.
Like many of my classmates, I was (and continue to be) unemployed despite constant efforts to find a job through picking up (unpaid) internships, using my network, and temping whenever I could to make some money. Valentine's Day came around and I was hospitalized for a week, diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (also known as Juvenile Diabetes, not due to my diet or activity level). Although I was shocked, I insisted that Diabetes is manageable and only another adjective to describe who I am.
Thankfully, with my parents help I was able to move into my apartment by March. I cannot express how grateful I am to have such supportive and fabulous parents. Late March, I hosted a housewarming party with friends. A few days later, my boyfriend and I became "Facebook-official," as the kids say. He has been nothing short of amazing and everything I could have asked for. I can now safely say I know the true meaning of the phrase "Distance makes the heart grow fonder," as we are about four hours away from each other.
Mother's Day slowly crept up and I was back in the hospital with a blood clot, meaning that my activity level and diet had to be closely monitored. I remained (and continue to be) adamant that with close monitoring and following doctors' orders, I can live a normal life.
The rest of 2012 was pretty uneventful but still full of lessons. Lessons of how to better manage my diet--both financial and nutritional. Always an advocate for sustainability, I set out to make my lifestyle as waste-free as I possibly could.
So here is to a better year. Even more waste-free, health conscious, and penny pinching.
2012 began with a bang and proved to be full of surprises throughout.
Like many of my classmates, I was (and continue to be) unemployed despite constant efforts to find a job through picking up (unpaid) internships, using my network, and temping whenever I could to make some money. Valentine's Day came around and I was hospitalized for a week, diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (also known as Juvenile Diabetes, not due to my diet or activity level). Although I was shocked, I insisted that Diabetes is manageable and only another adjective to describe who I am.
Thankfully, with my parents help I was able to move into my apartment by March. I cannot express how grateful I am to have such supportive and fabulous parents. Late March, I hosted a housewarming party with friends. A few days later, my boyfriend and I became "Facebook-official," as the kids say. He has been nothing short of amazing and everything I could have asked for. I can now safely say I know the true meaning of the phrase "Distance makes the heart grow fonder," as we are about four hours away from each other.
Mother's Day slowly crept up and I was back in the hospital with a blood clot, meaning that my activity level and diet had to be closely monitored. I remained (and continue to be) adamant that with close monitoring and following doctors' orders, I can live a normal life.
The rest of 2012 was pretty uneventful but still full of lessons. Lessons of how to better manage my diet--both financial and nutritional. Always an advocate for sustainability, I set out to make my lifestyle as waste-free as I possibly could.
So here is to a better year. Even more waste-free, health conscious, and penny pinching.
No comments:
Post a Comment